Aspiring to feed the heart and soul of our community through a strong commitment to local and organic foods. – Ellwood Thompson’s mission statement
Ellwood Thompson’s is a community where local and social connections are consciously felt. It’s a gathering spot to slow down and nourish the mind, body and soul.
We believe such a third place can inspire community change and in our own small way affect our world.
Our Business Philosophy
The success of Ellwood Thompson’s is determined by customer connection, steward happiness and local community engagement. We intend to grow our business by offering clean, high-quality products at fair prices with friendly, knowledgable customer assistance. Ellwood’s is a mission first driven business.
Our Core Values
Our core values breathe life into our mission though our stewards. They are the foundation of what we believe in. As a locally owned business, these values represent us, they represent our culture and they represent our soul. Here are those things we hold most valuable:
1. Product Standards: Providing a diversity of products with an emphasis on local, organic, minimally processed and sustainable foods.
2. Food & Product Safety: Offering the highest in food and product safety through providing products with superior standards and clear labeling. We are a buying agent for our customers, not a selling agent for our suppliers. We believe in public health over industry profits.
3. Environmental Impact: We love our planet – it’s the only one we have. We recycle, use solar energy, compost, reward customers who walk to our store (or bike) and donate food waste. We support sustainable agriculture and work to reduce the impact from modern day lifestyles on the world we share with other species. We want to preserve it for the next generation.
4. Local Love: Partnering with other small local organizations, sourcing local products, and promoting the importance of buying local throughout our community. Showcasing local artists poets, and authors to reflect social consciousness and Richmond’s history.
5. Community Consciousness: Engaging, supporting and listening to our local community through events and causes that support our mission and lead to positive change. We engage with products that do not depend on the exploitation of others for their success.
6. Animal Welfare: Supporting animal welfare through ethical and well-informed product choices. We boycott companies or countries who show a lack of consciousness of the rights of animals.
7. Steward Respect: We are committed to diversity and equality. Providing a workplace where entrepreneurial spirit is fostered and decision-making is streamlined by a collaborative management style. We strive to be a responsible and ethical employer.
8. Paying it Forward: Successfully and genuinely executing our mission, supporting our stewards, providing to our customers and giving back to our local community through profitability.