Become an Ellwood’s Steward
Our focus is on community and providing that community with healthy food that is natural, organic, and locally-sourced. Our team is built of gardeners, recyclers, volunteers, cooks, artists, artisans and healers who are all environmentally conscious people in constant search for the freshest local food and products we can find. We know our stuff and love our city, from the James River to the Blue Ridge Mountains – Richmond, Virginia is our home.
The employees of Ellwood Thompson’s are a proud, knowledgeable, and diverse group of down-to-earth, talented, quirky and inspired individuals who are dedicated to a clear mission. Because of this and because we are a locally-owned and independent market, we don’t take the hiring process lightly. We only hire people who are as passionate and dedicated as the rest of our team.
Our full-time employees enjoy a benefits package that includes eligibility for comprehensive health and dental insurance (with an individual option at no premium cost), short-term disability and life insurance provided at no cost to them. All of our employees are offered store discounts as well as discounts from local businesses and other organizations we partner with, plus more.
If you believe you’d be a great addition to our team, be sure to browse the open positions listed below and follow the instructions on how to apply. Once you send us your application, there’s no need to follow up with a call – we’ll definitely let you know if you’re what we’re looking for.
And remember – *All applicants must be 18 years or older to apply.
Current Job Openings:
Production Cook for the Hot Bar (FT)
- Prepare deli offerings following specifications of Kitchen Manager.
- Ensure all ingredients meet store product standards.
- Report customer suggestions, comments, complaints to Kitchen Manager.
- Ensure there is ample product in deli display case and/or hot bar
- Ensure freshness of deli items by rotating and by keeping batches separate by date.
- Pull old or low-quality items, record and properly dispose of them, following established procedures.
- Wash dishes and utensils, clean kitchen, scrubbing and wiping all surfaces following
- Follow established procedures in compliance with health department regulations.
- Follow safety, storage and labeling procedures.
- Advise Kitchen Manager of equipment repair and replacement needs.
- Participate in periodic inventory counts.
- Perform other tasks assigned by Kitchen Manager.
- Minimum of one years’ experience cooking for deli, restaurant, or catering in high volume environment.
- Ability to produce large batches of high quality food
- Experience working with vegan ingredients
- Organized, clean, and able to pay attention to detail and work area.
- Ability to lift 25+ lbs.
- Manual dexterity with hazardous equipment.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Must be comfortable cooking large quantities of meat, pastas, starches, vegetables and sauces from scratch.
- Open availability including nights and weekends.
Deli Counter Steward (FT)
- Keep deli case stocked and clean. Making sure to replenish and rotate dishes.
- Pull short-date or low-quality items and notify purchaser before disposing of them properly
- Label items accurately with price tags or signs.
- Package food for grab and go case.
- Greet and serve customers in a prompt, friendly and courteous manner.
- Offer tastes, samples, and suggestions for accompaniments.
- Report customer suggestions, comments, and complaints to the Kitchen Manager.
- Keep cases, counter tops, shelves, and coolers in clean, orderly condition.
- Remove trash promptly, sweep and mop floor.
- Keep department equipment in assigned area, in working order.
- Advise Manager of equipment problems.
- Ability to lift 25+ lbs.
- Ability to handle multiple demands.
- Experience serving the public.
- Familiarity with natural foods.
- Accuracy, attention to detail.
Lead Barista (FT)
- Prepare drinks quickly from memory consistent with established recipes.
- Cut and prep a variety of fruits and veggies
- Use manual espresso machine, commercial juicer, commercial drip coffee brewer and commercial blenders.
- Eagerly engages customers in conversation regarding items on menu.
- Ensure displayed items and ingredients are fresh, remove any that are not.
- Work as a team to ensure all customer’s needs and expectations are met.
- Consistently use and maintain equipment to ensure proper functioning.
- Cleans and maintains work areas on an ongoing basis.
- Rings up purchases properly and efficiently – including purchases from other parts of the store
- Prepare drinks quickly from memory consistent with established recipes.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Additional Lead Responsibilities:
- Assist with training of new Stewards
- Assist with ordering supplies.
- Ensure all breaks are given each day to those working in the department
- Make sure side prep and side work in done on a consistent basis
- Meet with manager on a regular basis to share ideas surrounding improvements and new drink promotions.
- Set the example of great customer service.
- Minimum of one year food prep experience; Barista experience a plus.
- Experience using a POS system.
- Customer Service experience.
- Good time management skills.
- Able to stay calm under pressure.
- Able to lift 50 lbs.
Meat/Seafood Steward (FT)
Ellwood Thompson’s is seeking a full-time seafood/meat steward. The candidate should be available to work evenings, weekends and holidays.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide our Customers with exemplary service, able to discuss choices with customers and give recommendations
- Have a clear understanding of, and belief in, sustainable practices as they apply to the meat/seafood department
- Experience with food handling in a professional setting/with meat and seafood preferred
- Adhere to all local, state, and federal health and civil code regulations.
- Price and display product in cases as directed by the department manager.
- Assist in wrapping and labeling product as required.
- Excellent attention to detail in all aspects of work
- Help maintain proper product assortment and merchandising
- Maintain safe, clean and well-organized working and shopping environment
- Weekend availability is required.
Essentials (Grocery) Steward (FT)
Job Summary: As a member of the Essentials department your role will include assisting customers in finding items and deciding on products they have questions about. You are also responsible for ensuring a positive customer impression of the department by keeping the isles clean, the shelves stocked and rotated properly and assuring everything neat and organized.
- Exceptional customer service assisting customers as a first priority
- Ability to read, and explain labels as well as differentiate the products we offer from their conventional counterparts
- Ability to create and maintain visual merchandising of product
- Receive product
- Stock and rotate products, basic understanding of PLU label system
- Ability to follow instructions and procedures
- Work with and around equipment specific to your dept.
- Communicate clearly with other members of department or departmetn manager regarding department business
- Ability to prioritize
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned
- Time management
- Customer service
- Team player
- Product knowledge
- Strong attention to detail
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED
- Analytical skill
- Retail experience
Preferred Education and Experience
- Retail experience in food industry
- Strong understanding of the basic principles of rotation, PLU’s and managing inventory
Work Environment: The work involves considerable being on your feet for the entirety of a shift and going up and down stairs. There is entering and exiting refrigerated areas. Our essential stewards have consistent interaction with customers.
Physical demands: Essential Stewards frequently lift up to 30 lbs and occasionally to 50 lbs. They must be able to pull, push, bend and work on a ladder. Use of box cutter. Bend and stoop to reach things, twist at the waist and neck and reach above and below shoulders.
Position Type/Schedule: This is a full time position. Full time as defined by 30+ hours a week. Availability includes store business hours as well as early morning and late evenings. Our stewards need to have the ability to be available for flexible scheduling to meet the needs of the dept.
Other Job Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Barista/Juice Bar Steward (PT & FT)
Job Summary: To prepare and maintain the high standards of the coffee, tea, juice and smoothie bar.
- Connects with customers
- Sets the example for the department by delivering exceptional customer service at all times
- Prepares all drinks and juices to meet stores product stands
- Follows health, safety and sanitation guidelines for all products
- Follows store policy and procedures for operational flow at each production station
- Follows standards for merchandising, stocking, rotating and storing products
- Performs cleaning tasks in accordance with the duty rosters and cleaning standards
- Ensures all prep work is done and stocked
- Promotes special events and exciting sale items
- Becomes familiar with store policies and products in order to answer customer questions
- Follows security procedures with customers regarding cash-handling etc.
- Maintains checking area in clean, orderly condition
- During down times, actively seeks out work that needs to be done
- Keeps registers and front work area in a clean, orderly condition
- Removes trash promptly, sweep and mop floor
Nourish Steward (PT)
Purpose: To deliver great customer service by describing and promoting vitamins and supplements, medicinals and personal care products that suit their needs.
- Provide product information to customers.
- Assist customers with product questions, in prompt, friendly, courteous manner, referring them to other stewards when necessary.
- Offer suggestions for purchases and ways to use products, staying within legal guidelines.
- Help customers place special orders. Call customers when special orders have been delivered.
- Stay abreast of industry developments.
- Stock and face shelves and displays fully without overcrowding.
- Rotate older stock to front, making space for new stock.
- Dust product, shelves and displays while stocking.
- Label items accurately with price tags or signs as needed.
- See that unsellable items are properly disposed of. Keep accurate shrinkage records.
- Maintain department shelves, displays, aisles and storage areas in clean, orderly condition, meeting health department standards. Sweep and mop floors as needed, take out trash.
- Participate in inventory counts.
- Maintain department equipment in working order. Advise Management of repair or replacement needs.
- Familiarity with and interest in vitamins and supplements, personal care products, medicinals.
- Demonstrated interest in nutrition and natural health care.
- Experience serving the public.
- Ability to project friendly, outgoing personality.
- Demonstrated ability to follow through on commitments.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple demands.
Food Runner (FT)
- Must have a working knowledge of food prep, including ServSafe reheating guidelines
- The runner is responsible for warming, serving and replenishing the Hot and Cold bars
- This position requires the runner to keep the bar clean and the food presentable
- Must be a team player
- Knowledge of Vegan and Vegetarian cuisine is a plus!
If you are interested in this position please email your resume and cover letter or download and complete an application from our website.
Ellwood Thompson’s offers a great benefits package including group health and dental coverage with an option for health/dental insurance at no cost to the employee, STD and Life Insurance 100% paid by company, accrued paid time off, profit sharing, employee discounts, 401K after one year, and more!
How to Apply:
- Come in to our store! We love putting faces to names. When you get here, walk up to our Customer Service desk and ask for the Manager on Duty. Tell them what position you’d like to apply for and they’ll be sure to get you the right application. You can fill it out in-store or at home, but be sure to take your time. You’re free to attach your resume to your application – we love seeing resumes, too! Once you’re done, return your application to the Manager on Duty or anyone at the Customer Service desk.
- Download your Ellwood’s Job Application (PDF) and fill it out, taking your time to make sure you give us everything we’re looking for. After you’re done email it to Jobs@Ellwoodthompsons.com or bring it in! Hand it to the Manager on Duty or anyone at the Customer Service desk.
Remember, most of our positions get filled quickly and we are looking for the best, so make sure you shine!
And again – no phone calls – you can bet we’re on top of it!
Thank you for your interest!