Become An Ellwood's Steward
Our focus is on community and providing that community with healthy food that is natural, organic, and locally-sourced. Our team is built of gardeners, recyclers, volunteers, cooks, artists, artisans and healers who are all environmentally conscious people in constant search for the freshest local food and products we can find. We know our stuff and love our city, from the James River to the Blue Ridge Mountains - Richmond, Virginia is our home.
The employees of Ellwood Thompson’s are a proud, knowledgeable, and diverse group of down-to-earth, talented, quirky and inspired individuals who are dedicated to a clear mission. Because of this and because we are a locally-owned and independent market, we don’t take the hiring process lightly. We only hire people who are as passionate and dedicated as the rest of our team.
Our full-time employees enjoy a benefits package that includes eligibility for comprehensive health and dental insurance (with an individual option at no premium cost), short-term disability and life insurance provided at no cost to them. All of our employees are offered store discounts as well as discounts from local businesses and other organizations we partner with, plus more.
If you believe you’d be a great addition to our team, be sure to browse the open positions listed below and follow the instructions on how to apply. Once you send us your application, there’s no need to follow up with a call - we’ll definitely let you know if you’re what we’re looking for.
And remember - *All applicants must be 18 years or older to apply.
Current Job Openings:
Barista (2 FT)
Job Summary: To prepare and maintain the high standards of the coffee, tea, juice and smoothie bar.
- Connects with customers
- Sets the example for the department by delivering exceptional customer service at all times
- Prepares all drinks and juices to meet stores product stands
- Follows health, safety and sanitation guidelines for all products
- Follows store policy and procedures for operational flow at each production station
- Follows standards for merchandising, stocking, rotating and storing products
- Performs cleaning tasks in accordance with the duty rosters and cleaning standards
- Ensures all prep work is done and stocked
- Promotes special events and exciting sale items
- Becomes familiar with store policies and products in order to answer customer questions
- Follows security procedures with customers regarding cash-handling etc.
- Maintains checking area in clean, orderly condition
- During down times, actively seeks out work that needs to be done
- Keeps registers and front work area in a clean, orderly condition
- Removes trash promptly, sweep and mop floor
- 1-2 years’ experience making specialty coffee or juice drinks/food prep experience
- Organized, attention to detail
- Ability to lift 50+ lbs
- Manual dexterity with hazardous equipment
Breakfast Production Chef (PT)
- 2 years of experience scratch cooking for deli, restaurant, or catering in high volume environment.
- Primarily hired for breakfast shift but must have open availability including weekends and holidays.
- Must be a team player.
- Organized, clean, and able to pay attention to detail and work area.
- Ability to lift 25+ lbs.
- Manual dexterity with hazardous equipment.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Must be comfortable cooking large quantities of meat, pastas, starches, vegetables and sauces from scratch.
- Position could change to full time hours in the future.
If you are interested in this position please email your resume and cover letter or download and complete an application from our website.
Ellwood Thompson's offers a great benefits package including group health and dental coverage with an option for health/dental insurance at no cost to the employee, STD and Life Insurance 100% paid by company, accrued paid time off, profit sharing, employee discounts, 401K after one year, and more!
How to Apply:
- Come in to our store! We love putting faces to names. When you get here, walk up to our Customer Service desk and ask for the Manager on Duty. Tell them what position you’d like to apply for and they’ll be sure to get you the right application. You can fill it out in-store or at home, but be sure to take your time. You’re free to attach your resume to your application - we love seeing resumes, too! Once you’re done, return your application to the Manager on Duty or anyone at the Customer Service desk.
- Download your Ellwood’s Job Application (PDF) and fill it out, taking your time to make sure you give us everything we’re looking for. After you’re done email it to Jobs@Ellwoodthompsons.com or bring it in! Hand it to the Manager on Duty or anyone at the Customer Service desk.
Remember, most of our positions get filled quickly and we are looking for the best, so make sure you shine!
And again - no phone calls - you can bet we’re on top of it!
Thank you for your interest!