Become an Ellwood's Steward
Our focus is on community and providing that community with healthy food that is natural, organic, and locally-sourced. Our team is built of gardeners, recyclers, volunteers, cooks, artists, artisans and healers who are all environmentally conscious people in constant search for the freshest local food and products we can find. We know our stuff and love our city, from the James River to the Blue Ridge Mountains - Richmond, Virginia is our home.
The employees of Ellwood Thompson’s are a proud, knowledgeable, and diverse group of down-to-earth, talented, quirky and inspired individuals who are dedicated to a clear mission. Because of this and because we are a locally-owned and independent market, we don’t take the hiring process lightly. We only hire people who are as passionate and dedicated as the rest of our team.
Our full-time employees enjoy a benefits package that includes eligibility for comprehensive health and dental insurance (with an individual option at no premium cost), short-term disability and life insurance provided at no cost to them. All of our employees are offered store discounts as well as discounts from local businesses and other organizations we partner with, plus more.
If you believe you’d be a great addition to our team, be sure to browse the open positions listed below and follow the instructions on how to apply. Once you send us your application, there’s no need to follow up with a call - we’ll definitely let you know if you’re what we’re looking for.
And remember - *All applicants must be 18 years or older to apply.
Current Job Openings:
Manager On Duty (FT)
Purpose: To facilitate store security, prompt, friendly, courteous customer service and smooth store operations during designated shifts.
- Observe status of each department and report discrepancies, out-of-stocks, performance problems or other relevant conditions to appropriate manager, (leaving notes as needed.)
- Adjust hours, breaks, and assigned tasks of Customer Service Staff (Cashier-Stockers) as needed to meet the demand of customer flow in the store.
- Answer customer questions and complaints, or refer to appropriate staff.
- Ensure accuracy and security of cash received through front end by upholding established money-handling procedures.
- Keep store in clean, orderly condition during shift. See that spills and other hazardous conditions are cleaned up.
- Approve personal checks over $300.00, customer charges and returns without receipts.
- Monitor cooler and freezer temperatures. Troubleshoot equipment breakdowns during shift as needed, using procedures established by General Manager.
- Ensure phone calls are answered promptly.
- Deal with shoplifters, disorderly customers, medical emergencies in accordance with established procedures.
- Back up for cashiers for breaks, ensure that other staff get breaks.
- Periodically check with cashiers for drops of excess bills and checks and place in safe.
- Get change for cashiers as needed.
- Opening Shifts: Ensure that store is opened following established procedures:
- Ensure that doors are unlocked at established times. Ensure security of receiving door until arrival of Receiver.
- Check refrigeration units to be sure they are working properly.
- Ensure that all lights are on.
- Closing Shifts: Ensure that store is closed following established procedures:
- Close out drawers not closed by cashiers and put in safe.
- Ensure safe is locked.
- Ensure all doors.
- Ensure that employees exit store in groups of two or more.
- Ensure lights turned out following established procedures.
- Leave notes in log for next MOD.
- Perform other tasks assigned by Front End, Store or Assistant Store Manager.
- Communications skills: good listening, clear instructions.
- Experience serving the public.
- Ability to handle multiple demands.
- Calmness under pressure.
- Ability to project an outgoing, friendly personality.
- Familiarity with natural foods.
Purpose: To provide friendly, courteous customer service by checking out customer purchases promptly and accurately
- Come to work on time, dressed appropriately, and ready to work.
- Greet customers, offer friendly helpful service.
- Check out customer purchases quickly and accurately, using correct prices, departments and PLU codes.
- Call for back-up as needed so that customers wait as little as possible to be checked out.
- Bag groceries and ask customers if they need further help.
- Promote special events and exciting sale items.
- Become familiar with store policies and products in order to answer customer questions. Refer unresolved questions to Manager on Duty.
- Follow security procedures with customers, cash-handling, potential shoplifters or robbers.
- Maintain checking area in clean, orderly condition.
- Maintain shopper and register supplies at checkstands.
- During down times, actively seek out work that needs to be done.
- Customer Service
- Answer and route phone calls, take messages as needed.
- Issue credits to customers for returned items.
- Help customers with placing special orders.
- Front End Maintenance
- Keep registers, register belts, and front work area in a clean, orderly condition.
- Remove trash promptly, sweep and mop floor.
- Take milk bottles to back.
- Monitor the café area, whipping down tables and sweeping the floor as necessary.
- Beyond the above listed duties, it is the employee’s responsibility to respond to any task that is deemed necessary for the smooth operation of the department.
- Must possess outstanding communication and people skills.
- Must be able to execute multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Experience serving the public.
- Familiarity with natural foods.
- Accuracy & attention to detail.
- Ability to lift 25+lbs.
Barista (2FT & 1PT)
Job Summary: To prepare and maintain the high standards of the coffee, tea, juice and smoothie bar.
- Connects with customers
- Sets the example for the department by delivering exceptional customer service at all times
- Prepares all drinks and juices to meet stores product stands
- Follows health, safety and sanitation guidelines for all products
- Follows store policy and procedures for operational flow at each production station
- Follows standards for merchandising, stocking, rotating and storing products
- Performs cleaning tasks in accordance with the duty rosters and cleaning standards
- Ensures all prep work is done and stocked
- Promotes special events and exciting sale items
- Becomes familiar with store policies and products in order to answer customer questions
- Follows security procedures with customers regarding cash-handling etc.
- Maintains checking area in clean, orderly condition
- During down times, actively seeks out work that needs to be done
- Keeps registers and front work area in a clean, orderly condition
- Removes trash promptly, sweep and mop floor
- 1-2 years’ experience making specialty coffee or juice drinks/food prep experience
- Organized, attention to detail
- Ability to lift 50+ lbs
- Manual dexterity with hazardous equipment
Meat/Seafood Steward (FT)
- Provide our Customers with exemplary service, able to discuss choices with customers and give recommendations
- Have a clear understanding of, and belief in, sustainable practices as they apply to the meat/seafood department
- Experience with food handling in a professional setting/with meat and seafood preferred
- Adhere to all local, state, and federal health and civil code regulations.
- Price and display product in cases as directed by the department manager.
- Assist in wrapping and labeling product as required.
- Excellent attention to detail in all aspects of work
- Help maintain proper product assortment and merchandising
- Maintain safe, clean and well-organized working and shopping environment
- Weekend availability is required.
Bakery Counter Steward (FT)
Job Summary: Under general supervision performs a variety of duties including stocking, packaging, organizing, cleaning and answering customer questions regarding baked goods, orders etc.
- Describe, to customers, breads, rolls, muffins, cookies, pies, cakes, biscuits and other pastries, including icings and frostings, according to established signage and answer questions regarding ingredients.
- Provide excellent customer service, helping customers with choosing and recommend items for taste and specialty diets.
- Package and stock a variety of baked goods.
- Ensure displayed baked goods are fresh, remove any that have become stale.
- Make certain display areas are full and look appetizing at all times.
- Cleans and maintains work areas, utensils and equipment.
- Understands ingredient list as it pertains to specialty diets.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Good time management skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Previous customer service experience, preferable in food environment
- Professional food handling experience and/or certification preferred
- Working knowledge of the natural food industry a plus
Assistant Kitchen Manager (FT)
Purpose: To execute the vision of the store’s prepared foods department with attention to natural, organic, vegetarian and other specialty cuisines.
- Provide product information for newsletter, promotions and customer inquiries.
- Ensure all stewards have ongoing training in food offers to ensure prompt, friendly, educated customer service.
- Schedule and monitor food production for efficiency and optimum customer service
- Assists in addressing customer concerns promptly and communicating concerns with all kitchen/bakery/meat stewards.
- Execute the visual merchandising of product, mentor staff in this area
- Schedule hours within payroll allocation
- Develops and encourages staff’s growth in their positions, and other positions within the department
- Respect and understand cultural differences, and promotes a harassment-free surrounding
- Ensure on the job training and continuous improvement
- Execute disciplinary action as needed following established policies
- Possesses good written and oral communications
- Ensure the flow of communication across shifts and days by maintaining an up to date communication log in an area that is easily accessible to stewards in each department
- Follows up on day to day procedures to ensure proper communication with customers ie: signage, hot bar menu, upcoming specials to be promoted on social networking sites etc.
- Visual merchandising always executed to a high level “wow”
- Ensure pricing guidelines are met on a day to day basis.
- Ensure department operates in compliance with health department regulations / department clean at all times.
- Establish and maintain proper storage and labeling procedures.
- Participate in development of department goals.
- Works with food services director to ensure working with approved budget.
- Supports the companies goals and values
- Maintains a high level of product knowledge and continued learning
- Assure control accuracy and accountability of all department invoices and expenses.
- Maintain retail prices and insure all products are accurately priced and sales prices / sale signs are up to date.
- At least 2-5 years management experience in the field of restaurant, food service, catering or deli including: hiring, training, evaluating, and directing staff.
- Proven ability to develop stewards and manage a department on a day to day basis within a budget and to the high standards required by management.
- Passion and experience regarding using natural, organic, vegetarian and other specialty cuisines.
- Creative merchandising abilities
- Positive attitude and commitment to excellence.
- Willingness to go above and beyond the duties of the position
Catering Cook - Lead (FT)
- Minimum of two years of cooking experience required
- Ability to prepare high quality food; keen attention to detail needed
- Strong presentation skills, especially concerning platters
- Responsible for food preparation for school lunch programs
- Reports to Kitchen Manager but works closely with Catering Sales Manager
- Knowledge of proper safe food storage and handling guidelines required
- Typical hours 3PM to 11PM Sunday – Thursday
Production Chef (2 FT)
- 2 or more years of experience required
- Breakfast/brunch experience helpful (for one of the two open positions)
- Serve Safe certification a plan
- Knowledge of Vegan and Vegetarian cuisine a plus
- Must be able to work with other hard working cooks
- Must have a flexible schedule
If you are interested in this position please email your resume and cover letter or download and complete an application from our website.
Ellwood Thompson's offers a great benefits package including group health and dental coverage with an option for health/dental insurance at no cost to the employee, STD and Life Insurance 100% paid by company, accrued paid time off, profit sharing, employee discounts, 401K after one year, and more!
How to Apply:
- Come in to our store! We love putting faces to names. When you get here, walk up to our Customer Service desk and ask for the Manager on Duty. Tell them what position you’d like to apply for and they’ll be sure to get you the right application. You can fill it out in-store or at home, but be sure to take your time. You’re free to attach your resume to your application - we love seeing resumes, too! Once you’re done, return your application to the Manager on Duty or anyone at the Customer Service desk.
- Download your Ellwood’s Job Application (PDF) and fill it out, taking your time to make sure you give us everything we’re looking for. After you’re done email it to Jobs@Ellwoodthompsons.com or bring it in! Hand it to the Manager on Duty or anyone at the Customer Service desk.
Remember, most of our positions get filled quickly and we are looking for the best, so make sure you shine!
And again - no phone calls - you can bet we’re on top of it!
Thank you for your interest!