Become an Ellwood's Steward
Our focus is on community and providing that community with healthy food that is natural, organic, and locally-sourced. Our team is built of gardeners, recyclers, volunteers, cooks, artists, artisans and healers who are all environmentally conscious people in constant search for the freshest local food and products we can find. We know our stuff and love our city, from the James River to the Blue Ridge Mountains - Richmond, Virginia is our home.
The employees of Ellwood Thompson’s are a proud, knowledgeable, and diverse group of down-to-earth, talented, quirky and inspired individuals who are dedicated to a clear mission. Because of this and because we are a locally-owned and independent market, we don’t take the hiring process lightly. We only hire people who are as passionate and dedicated as the rest of our team.
Our full-time employees enjoy a benefits package that includes eligibility for comprehensive health and dental insurance (with an individual option at no premium cost), short-term disability and life insurance provided at no cost to them. All of our employees are offered store discounts as well as discounts from local businesses and other organizations we partner with, plus more.
If you believe you’d be a great addition to our team, be sure to browse the open positions listed below and follow the instructions on how to apply. Once you send us your application, there’s no need to follow up with a call - we’ll definitely let you know if you’re what we’re looking for.
And remember - *All applicants must be 18 years or older to apply.
Current Job Openings:
Assistant Store Manager (FT)
Responsibilities include but are not limited to assisting the Store Manager in the following:
- Participate in development of annual operating, capital and cash budgets for store.
- Assist Store Manager in holding department managers accountable for goals as they relate to department sales, margin, turns and labor costs.
- Participate in planning and implementing store layout and product locations for shopping and stocking efficiency.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable laws: business licenses, permits, health regulations, labor laws, OSHA etc.
- Review schedules set by department managers, to meet goals for labor costs and customer service.
- Assist in coordinating store remodels and major repair and maintenance projects.
- Maintain security of building, equipment and inventory.
- Ensure sanitary operations, in accordance with health regulations. Oversee janitorial service in regular cleaning.
- Be an active part of the daily operations of a natural food store including merchandising, customer service, and employee support.
- Assist with supervision of department managers and ensure all business and personnel policies are being adhered to
- Outstanding communication skills, written and verbal.
- Demonstrated initiative, leadership ability.
- Ability to handle multiple demands.
- Demonstrated ability to follow through on commitments.
- Retail experience, with a minimum of 5 years in management role
- Supervisory experience: hiring, training, evaluating, firing.
- Working knowledge of the natural food industry.
Indulge Steward (PT)
Typically 20 hours per week; normal work days Fridays-Mondays
(Estimate 10 hours/week in the Beet Café and 10 hours/week in Indulge department)
Purpose: To provide prompt, friendly, helpful, well-informed service and maintain a well-stocked, attractive department to help meet goals for sales, margin and customer service.
- Assist customers with wine questions, in prompt, friendly, courteous manner, referring them to other staff when necessary.
- Offer suggestions for purchases and food pairings, wine storage and handling, etc.
- Help customers place special orders.
- Stay abreast of industry developments and product status. Read trade journals and other materials provided by Wine Buyer.
- Report customer suggestions, comments, complaints to supervisor
- Stock and face shelves and displays fully without overcrowding.
- Ensure proper dept. signage including pricing, pairing notes and tasting notes
- Help process Wine deliveries.
- Take inventories for Wine Buyer on request.
- Spot check price changes and product changes.
- Notify manager of returns and damaged bottles. Keep accurate shrinkage records.
- Maintain department shelves, displays, aisles and storage areas in clean, orderly condition, meeting health department standards.
- Participate in inventory counts.
- Serve beer and wine in the Beet Café as needed
- Demonstrated knowledge and interest in learning more regarding wine, cheese and gourmet food.
- Minimum of one year wine experience, preferably in retail setting
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Must be friendly and professional.
- Ability to handle multiple demands.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs often, every day.
- Close attention to detail.
Create Steward (PT)
- 2 years of experience is required
- Must be able to prepare made to order sandwiches and salads
- Typical schedule would be Sundays and Monday working counter, Thursdays and Friday doing prep.
- Must have a flexible schedule
- Approximately 25 hours per week
Production Chef (2 PT)
- 2 or more years of experience required
- Breakfast/brunch experience helpful (for one of the two open positions)
- Serve Safe certification a plan
- Knowledge of Vegan and Vegetarian cuisine a plus
- Must be able to work with other hard working cooks
- Must have a flexible schedule
If you are interested in this position please email your resume and cover letter or download and complete an application from our website.
Ellwood Thompson's offers a great benefits package including group health and dental coverage with an option for health/dental insurance at no cost to the employee, STD and Life Insurance 100% paid by company, accrued paid time off, profit sharing, employee discounts, 401K after one year, and more!
How to Apply:
- Come in to our store! We love putting faces to names. When you get here, walk up to our Customer Service desk and ask for the Manager on Duty. Tell them what position you’d like to apply for and they’ll be sure to get you the right application. You can fill it out in-store or at home, but be sure to take your time. You’re free to attach your resume to your application - we love seeing resumes, too! Once you’re done, return your application to the Manager on Duty or anyone at the Customer Service desk.
- Download your Ellwood’s Job Application (PDF) and fill it out, taking your time to make sure you give us everything we’re looking for. After you’re done email it to Jobs@Ellwoodthompsons.com or bring it in! Hand it to the Manager on Duty or anyone at the Customer Service desk.
Remember, most of our positions get filled quickly and we are looking for the best, so make sure you shine!
And again - no phone calls - you can bet we’re on top of it!
Thank you for your interest!