By Rick Hood
As I ideally muse about what good might come of the new year, here are a few thoughts.
- Farmers will be encouraged to grow crops by methods that will protect the soil, water and air that will lead to healthy and environmental sustainability.
- Better wages for farm workers allowing them to have a decent living.
- Honest transparent food labels that people can understand.
- Greater compassion for farm animals.
- Greater protection of public health and consumers, especially when it comes to our children.
- More progress for systemic economic change to reduce the accelerating inequality in the country, creating a more balanced playing field for small businesses. Greater support for antitrust enforcement and reversal of Citizens United amendment would be a good start.
- Eat healthier and exercise more.
- Protect Richmond's history so we can retain the character and uniqueness that makes us special.
Let’s hope that 2019 will bring us some progress in these areas.