Jordan Douglas, MS, HHC
High summer is here. Local markets and backyard gardens are overflowing with seasonal favorites – tomatoes, squash, eggplant, basil, peaches and more. This may also be the point in the season where you’re starting to get a little burnt out on your go-to recipes. Whether you need to get out of a culinary rut or want to keep the summer produce celebration rolling, I’ve rounded up 16 incredible recipes that are sure to delight your taste buds and nourish your body and soul.
Before we get to the recipes, a few notes on summer cooking:
- Summer simplicity: While all plants eaten at their peak are sublime, summer produce hits a little different – more flavorful, more juicy, more vibrant. Let the fruits and veggies of this season shine with simple recipes and assembly that celebrate their inherent deliciousness.
- A note on oils:** **A good quality oil is absolutely necessary to help us absorb fat-soluble vitamins and create a greater depth of flavor on the palate. For raw or lightly-cooked dishes, use the highest quality olive oil you can afford. For high-heat cooking, roasting or frying, opt for avocado oil, coconut oil, or ghee.
- Eat local: Here in Virginia, we’re blessed with an incredible selection of local summer produce from so many amazing farmers. Be sure to check out the Produce section at Ellwood Thompson’s, or one of Richmond’s many farmers’ markets.
Now, on to the recipes!
16 Delicious Recipes to Celebrate Summer:
- Golden Peach Sunrise Smoothie
- Blueberry Basil Smoothie
- Peach and Avocado Overnight Oats with Moringa
- High Summer Gazpacho
- Chilled Creamy Summer Squash Soup with Basil and Lime (though all of these soups look amazing!)
- Miso-Glazed Eggplant Grain Bowls with Basil
- Zucchini Pasta with Tomato Relish
- Israeli-Spiced Tomatoes, Yogurt Sauce, and Chickpeas
- Eggplant Stir Fry
- Grilled Carrots with Avocado and Mint
- Summer Stuffed Patty Pans
- Peach and Coconut Popsicles
- Vegan Macadamia-Coconut Panna Cotta (delicious with any stone fruit or late summer berries!)
- Fully Raw Peach Cobbler
- Nectarine and Pistachio Tart
- Summer Fruit Shrub