Spring time means light yummy snacks. Our most recent recipe, taken from Taste of Beirut, is just that. With ingredients like red lentils, jelly, caramelized onions, olive oil and more – this dip is anything but ordinary.
- 1 cup of red lentils
- 2 cups of water
- Spices: a dash of cinnamon, paprika, white pepper, cumin, cayenne and sumac
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup of jam or jelly (I probably added a whole cup)
- 2 onions, sliced in rings
- olive oil, as needed
- juice of half a lemon OR, more sumac
NOTE: The jam can be replaced with sweet potatoes and one or two tablespoons of molasses or honey.
- In a large saucepan, place the red lentils and two cups of water; bring to a boil and simmer for about 30 minutes, until the lentils are cooked and soft. Meanwhile, heat some olive oil and fry the onions till they get crispy and caramelized.
- Add the spices to the lentils and half the caramelized onions and cook for another 20 minutes.
- When the lentils take the consistency of a porridge, add the jelly and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Serve with the caramelized onions on top, either in a large plate or as a dip with toasted baguette slices or pita triangles.
recipe taken from Taste of Beirut