Become An Ellwood's Steward
Our focus is on community and providing that community with healthy food that is natural, organic, and locally-sourced. Our team is built of gardeners, recyclers, volunteers, cooks, artists, artisans and healers who are all environmentally conscious people in constant search for the freshest local food and products we can find. We know our stuff and love our city, from the James River to the Blue Ridge Mountains - Richmond, Virginia is our home.
The employees of Ellwood Thompson’s are a proud, knowledgeable, and diverse group of down-to-earth, talented, quirky and inspired individuals who are dedicated to a clear mission. Because of this and because we are a locally-owned and independent market, we don’t take the hiring process lightly. We only hire people who are as passionate and dedicated as the rest of our team.
Our full-time employees enjoy a benefits package that includes eligibility for comprehensive health and dental insurance (with an individual option at no premium cost), short-term disability and life insurance provided at no cost to them. All of our employees are offered store discounts as well as discounts from local businesses and other organizations we partner with, plus more.
If you believe you’d be a great addition to our team, be sure to browse the open positions listed below and follow the instructions on how to apply. Once you send us your application, there’s no need to follow up with a call - we’ll definitely let you know if you’re what we’re looking for.
And remember - *All applicants must be 18 years or older to apply.
Current Job Openings:
Front End Manager
- Train, mentor and direct MODs, cashiers, baggers and customer service employees.
- Write schedules and assign tasks for Front-End staff as needed to meet the demand of customer flow in the store.
- Observe status of each department and report discrepancies, out-of-stocks, performance problems or other relevant conditions to appropriate manager.
- Answer customer questions and complaints, or refer to appropriate staff.
- Ensure accuracy and security of cash received through front end by upholding established money-handling procedures.
- Keep store in clean, orderly condition during shift. See that spills and other hazardous conditions area cleaned up.
- Key holder for the store
- Approve personal checks in accordance with Ellwood Thompson’s check acceptance policies.
- Monitor cooler and freezer temperatures when store managers are not present.
- Ensure phone calls are answered promptly.
- Address shoplifters, disorderly customers, medical emergencies in accordance with established procedures.
- Back up for cashiers for breaks, ensure that other staff receives breaks.
- Check with cashiers for drops of excess bills and checks in accordance with cashier policies.
- Get change for cashiers as needed.
- Opening or Closing Shifts – Ensure that store is opened and closed in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Communications daily via MOD log
- Ensure department operates in compliance with health regulations / department clean at all times.
- Participates in development of department goals.
- Works within approved budget and goals.
- Supports the companies goals and values.
- Assure control accuracy and accountability of all department invoices and expenses.
- Maintain accurate PLU’s in registers
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Store Manager or Assistant Store Manager.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience working in retail environment.
- Minimum 1 years’ experience supervising staff.
- Experience calculating figures, i.e. margins, discounts and other financial tasks.
- Strong business acumen and experience with managing budgets.
- Purchasing experience.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Ability to handle multiple demands.
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
- Experience with natural foods and products a plus.
Barista (FT & PT)
Job Summary: To prepare and maintain the high standards of the coffee, tea, juice and smoothie bar.
- Connects with customers
- Sets the example for the department by delivering exceptional customer service at all times
- Prepares all drinks and juices to meet stores product stands
- Follows health, safety and sanitation guidelines for all products
- Follows store policy and procedures for operational flow at each production station
- Follows standards for merchandising, stocking, rotating and storing products
- Performs cleaning tasks in accordance with the duty rosters and cleaning standards
- Ensures all prep work is done and stocked
- Promotes special events and exciting sale items
- Becomes familiar with store policies and products in order to answer customer questions
- Follows security procedures with customers regarding cash-handling etc.
- Maintains checking area in clean, orderly condition
- During down times, actively seeks out work that needs to be done
- Keeps registers and front work area in a clean, orderly condition
- Removes trash promptly, sweep and mop floor
- 1-2 years’ experience making specialty coffee or juice drinks/food prep experience
- Organized, attention to detail
- Ability to lift 50+ lbs
- Manual dexterity with hazardous equipment
Two Essentials Stewards
Job Summary: As a member of the Essentials department your role will include assisting customers in finding items and deciding on products they have questions about. You are also responsible for ensuring a positive customer impression of the department by keeping the isles clean, the shelves stocked and rotated properly and assuring everything neat and organized.
- Exceptional customer service assisting customers as a first priority
- Ability to read, and explain labels as well as differentiate the products we offer from their conventional counterparts
- Ability to create and maintain visual merchandising of product
- Receive product
- Stock and rotate products, basic understanding of PLU label system
- Ability to follow instructions and procedures
- Work with and around equipment specific to your dept.
- Communicate clearly with other members of department and department manager regarding department business
- Ability to prioritize
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Time Management
- Customer service
- Work as part of a team
- Product knowledge
- Strong Attention to detail
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED
- Analytical skill
- Retail experience
Preferred Education and Experience
- Retail experience in food industry
- Strong understanding of the basic principles of rotation, PLU’s and managing inventory
Work Environment: The work involves considerable being on your feet for the entirety of a shift and going up and down stairs. There is entering and exiting refrigerated areas. Our essential stewards have consistent interaction with customers
Physical demands: Essential Stewards frequently lift up to 50lbs and occasionally to 30lbs. They must be able to pull, push, bend and work on a ladder. Use of box cutter . Bend and stoop to reach things, twist at the waist and neck and reach above and below shoulders.
Position Type/Schedule: This is a full time position. Full time as defined by 30+ hours a week. Availability includes store business hours as well as early morning and late evenings. Our stewards need to have the ability to be available for flexible scheduling to meet the needs of the dept.
If you are interested in this position please email your resume and cover letter or download and complete an application from our website.
Ellwood Thompson's offers a great benefits package including group health and dental coverage with an option for health/dental insurance at no cost to the employee, STD and Life Insurance 100% paid by company, accrued paid time off, profit sharing, employee discounts, 401K after one year, and more!
How to Apply:
- Come in to our store! We love putting faces to names. When you get here, walk up to our Customer Service desk and ask for the Manager on Duty. Tell them what position you’d like to apply for and they’ll be sure to get you the right application. You can fill it out in-store or at home, but be sure to take your time. You’re free to attach your resume to your application - we love seeing resumes, too! Once you’re done, return your application to the Manager on Duty or anyone at the Customer Service desk.
- Download your Ellwood’s Job Application (PDF) and fill it out, taking your time to make sure you give us everything we’re looking for. After you’re done email it to Jobs@Ellwoodthompsons.com or bring it in! Hand it to the Manager on Duty or anyone at the Customer Service desk.
Remember, most of our positions get filled quickly and we are looking for the best, so make sure you shine!
And again - no phone calls - you can bet we’re on top of it!
Thank you for your interest!