Become An Ellwood's Steward
Our focus is on community and providing that community with healthy food that is natural, organic, and locally-sourced. Our team is built of gardeners, recyclers, volunteers, cooks, artists, artisans and healers who are all environmentally conscious people in constant search for the freshest local food and products we can find. We know our stuff and love our city, from the James River to the Blue Ridge Mountains - Richmond, Virginia is our home.
The employees of Ellwood Thompson’s are a proud, knowledgeable, and diverse group of down-to-earth, talented, quirky and inspired individuals who are dedicated to a clear mission. Because of this and because we are a locally-owned and independent market, we don’t take the hiring process lightly. We only hire people who are as passionate and dedicated as the rest of our team.
Our full-time employees enjoy a benefits package that includes eligibility for comprehensive health and dental insurance (with an individual option at no premium cost), short-term disability and life insurance provided at no cost to them. All of our employees are offered store discounts as well as discounts from local businesses and other organizations we partner with, plus more.
If you believe you’d be a great addition to our team, be sure to browse the open positions listed below and follow the instructions on how to apply. Once you send us your application, there’s no need to follow up with a call - we’ll definitely let you know if you’re what we’re looking for.
And remember - *All applicants must be 18 years or older to apply.
Current Job Openings:
- Empty trash cans on sales floor including front end eating area
- Light maintenance including such duties as changing light bulbs, changing filters, preventative work on equipment.
- Maintain appearance of all chrome and exteriors of refrigerated cases by dusting and wiping once a week.
- Check the restrooms hourly and keep stocked and clean.
- Clean and straighten the front end eating area including the tables, chairs and floors before and after lunch.
- Do frequent checks of the bulk area to make sure it is swept and clean.
- Clean all corners of the floors weekly.
- Maintain the downstairs areas of the store in a clean and clutter free manner.
- Dust mopping and wet mopping any areas of the store or basement that require attention
- Seasonal working including water flowers at the store and café during the summer and keeping customer walking areas clear of snow and other debris in other seasons.
- Previous experience as porter in retail environment preferred.
- Ability to work while standing for entire shift.
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to climb a ladder.
- Customer service skills included the ability to interact with customers in a positive and friendly manner.
- Open availability including nights, weekends and holidays
Assistant Kitchen Manager / Sous Chef
- Assist in management of our prepared foods department including hot/cold bars, prepared foods case, grab n go and custom/made to order station.
- Under the guidance of the Kitchen Manager, manage staff including: interviewing, training, scheduling, mentoring, disciplinary actions and performance reviews.
- Work closely with the Kitchen Manager to insure appropriate quantity, variety and quality of food is produced.
- Monitor food production insuring proper execution of recipes and efficient and safe cooking techniques are utilized.
- Assure control accuracy and accountability of all invoices and expenses.
- Ensure Kitchen operates in compliance with health department regulations.
- Ensure the flow of communication across shifts and days
- Assist with resolving any customer concerns.
- Insure top quality merchandising, cleanliness, and customer service in all prepared foods areas.
- Participate in development of department goals.
- Maintains a high level of product knowledge and continued learning.
- Lead by example working behind the counters servicing customers and maintaining product.
- Strong food service background in restaurant or grocery prepared foods department
- 3 years minimum high volume management experience including supervision of staff -- food industry preferred.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Passion and experience regarding using natural, organic, vegetarian and other specialty cuisines.
- Flexible schedule including nights and weekends.
Needed to cook large quantities of food for our famous hot bar.
Come work for Ellwood Thompson's where we offer great benefits and a strong team environment!
- Experience scratch cooking for deli, restaurant, or catering in medium to high volume environment.
- Organized, clean, and able to pay attention to detail and work area.
- Ability to lift 25+ lbs.
- Manual dexterity with hazardous equipment.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Must be comfortable cooking large quantities of meat, pastas, starches, vegetables and sauces from scratch.
- Open availability including nights and weekends.
If you are interested in this position please email your resume and cover letter or download and complete an application from our website.
Ellwood Thompson's offers a great benefits package including group health and dental coverage with an option for health/dental insurance at no cost to the employee, STD and Life Insurance 100% paid by company, accrued paid time off, profit sharing, employee discounts, 401K after one year, and more!
How to Apply:
- Come in to our store! We love putting faces to names. When you get here, walk up to our Customer Service desk and ask for the Manager on Duty. Tell them what position you’d like to apply for and they’ll be sure to get you the right application. You can fill it out in-store or at home, but be sure to take your time. You’re free to attach your resume to your application - we love seeing resumes, too! Once you’re done, return your application to the Manager on Duty or anyone at the Customer Service desk.
- Download your Ellwood’s Job Application (PDF) and fill it out, taking your time to make sure you give us everything we’re looking for. After you’re done email it to Jobs@Ellwoodthompsons.com or bring it in! Hand it to the Manager on Duty or anyone at the Customer Service desk.
Remember, most of our positions get filled quickly and we are looking for the best, so make sure you shine!
And again - no phone calls - you can bet we’re on top of it!
Thank you for your interest!