Become An Ellwood's Steward
Our focus is on community and providing that community with healthy food that is natural, organic, and locally-sourced. Our team is built of gardeners, recyclers, volunteers, cooks, artists, artisans and healers who are all environmentally conscious people in constant search for the freshest local food and products we can find. We know our stuff and love our city, from the James River to the Blue Ridge Mountains - Richmond, Virginia is our home.
The employees of Ellwood Thompson’s are a proud, knowledgeable, and diverse group of down-to-earth, talented, quirky and inspired individuals who are dedicated to a clear mission. Because of this and because we are a locally-owned and independent market, we don’t take the hiring process lightly. We only hire people who are as passionate and dedicated as the rest of our team.
Our full-time employees enjoy a benefits package that includes eligibility for comprehensive health and dental insurance (with an individual option at no premium cost), short-term disability and life insurance provided at no cost to them. All of our employees are offered store discounts as well as discounts from local businesses and other organizations we partner with, plus more.
If you believe you’d be a great addition to our team, be sure to browse the open positions listed below and follow the instructions on how to apply. Once you send us your application, there’s no need to follow up with a call - we’ll definitely let you know if you’re what we’re looking for.
And remember - *All applicants must be 18 years or older to apply.
Current Job Openings:
Support the Marketing Department & Director through art direction and communication design.
- Responsible for strengthening & maintaining brand identity for Ellwood’s & Dawson’s both internally and externally in all creative endeavors
- Supervises the Sign Maker and Chalkboard Artist regarding their project assignments and day-to-day workloads and responsibilities
- Creates and oversees in-store implementation of print & digital graphics and signage for new and reoccurring events, promotions, campaigns, & contests
- Designs third party print and web advertisements
- Creates packaging design for ET private label products
- Creates visual elements and layout for both stores’ bi-monthly newsletter e-blast
- Creates and updates all functional forms & print collateral for both stores, ex: local vendor agreements, job application, catering menus, store brochures, letterheads
- Creates and orders all store labels/stickers for both stores
- Manages store photography needs, ex: employee headshots, advertising and promotional photography, special event photography
- Facilitates and maintains relationships with outside vendors as well as tracking order expenditures for both stores and supervising installation at Ellwood’s, re: printed materials, marketing collateral, store signage, banners, etc.
- Coordinates with Ellwood’s department & store managers regarding promotions, graphic needs, style guide, sign placement, branding policies/procedures and the owner’s creative mission & goals
- Works in concert with the owner and Marketing Director to conceptualize and create store signage, expand branding as needed (ex: The Beet, Ellwood’s Handmade, Real Local RVA, etc), select artists & artwork locations. Ex: local vendor signage, Community Room>The Beet, directional way finding signage, department signage, chalkboards, murals
- College Degree in Graphic Design or related field
- 2 -3 Years of work experience managing a creative department, preferably in the food industry
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Creative, friendly and outgoing demeanor
- Ability to develop, build and maintain relationships
- Understanding of e-mail databases like MailChimp
- Ability to operate the back end of the website through WordPress and Concrete 5
- Strong understanding of natural, local and organic food trends as well as industry trends as a whole
Key Skills: Customer Service, Merchandising, Organization, Product Knowledge, Quality Control, Product Receiving, Communication/Teamwork
- Engage with all customers
- Answer any and all questions, if you don’t know the answer refer to another source
- Be courteous and helpful to all Customers
- Make sure Department looks presentable
- Product needs to be rotated and stocked neatly
- Go through product, cull inferior product
- Compost Product that is pulled from floor
- Make sure signage is correct for all items
- Front and Face product, pull out of date product
- Ensure all product is rotated in back stock area
- Make sure all product is labeled and dated
- Make sure cases of product are placed and rotated appropriately
- Make sure basic cleaning procedures are followed depending on shift duties
- Maintain backstock area
- Perform cleaning duties relating to maintaining backstock area
- Note any ideas that may improve efficiency of organization
- Know or be willing to learn about produce, garden plants, and items
- Have or be willing to learn basic knife and prep work skills
- Be able to follow basic recipes
- Be able to give product advice
- Ensure all product is up to Ellwood’s Standards
- Remove, shrink, and compost product that does not meet standards
- Make sure plants are watered, remove dead ones, and compost
- Sign for Product
- Organize, label, and move product to appropriate storage area
- Note any defective, ruined, or rotten product
- Stack and move around product according to “First in First Out”
Communication / Teamwork:
- Communicate effectively with other Stewards and Management
- Refer to white board To-Do lists
- View the department as a team, working together to ensure excellent service for our customers, and a beautiful, high-quality department
- Keep open lines of communication with coworkers and management, looking for quick resolutions and always maintaining a positive work environment.
- Help other Stewards with tasks that require it
- Assist others in our department with watering, cleaning, stocking, merchandising, etc.
- Try to have a good attitude and appreciate your coworkers
Barista/Juice Bar Steward
This position requires open availability (nights, weekends, holidays). 20-40 hours per week.
The Cafe serves specialty drinks and juices as well as specialty coffee.
Essential Job Functions:
- Customer service experience, and some food prep experience.
- Barista experience a plus.
- Knowledge of health and nutrition as it relates to food and juices.
- Experience using a POS system is preferred.
These are unique positions that combine creating specialty drinks,coffee drinks and juicing. The juicing aspect involves being able to stock fruit and veggie orders...that means being able to lift 50lbs. Sometime the lines are long in the morning so being able to stay focused and calm and work fast with great product quality is a must. There are also a couple of people working at a time - moving quickly and in front of customers - so it that excites you, please send us your resume.
All candidates must be over 18 and have flexible availability including nights weekends, and holidays.
Full-time positions are eligible for healthcare, dental, PTO, discounts and more.
- Able to deliver outstanding customer service is a must.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Attention to detail and proven money handling skills
- Excellent communications skills.
- Past experience working with a POS system.
- Knowledge of organic and natural products is a strong plus.
Needed to cook large quantities of food for our famous hot bar.
Come work for Ellwood Thompson's where we offer great benefits and a strong team environment!
- Experience scratch cooking for deli, restaurant, or catering in medium to high volume environment.
- Organized, clean, and able to pay attention to detail and work area.
- Ability to lift 25+ lbs.
- Manual dexterity with hazardous equipment.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Must be comfortable cooking large quantities of meat, pastas, starches, vegetables and sauces from scratch.
- Open availability including nights and weekends.
If you are interested in this position please email your resume and cover letter or download and complete an application from our website.
Ellwood Thompson's offers a great benefits package including group health and dental coverage with an option for health/dental insurance at no cost to the employee, STD and Life Insurance 100% paid by company, accrued paid time off, profit sharing, employee discounts, 401K after one year, and more!
How to Apply:
- Come in to our store! We love putting faces to names. When you get here, walk up to our Customer Service desk and ask for the Manager on Duty. Tell them what position you’d like to apply for and they’ll be sure to get you the right application. You can fill it out in-store or at home, but be sure to take your time. You’re free to attach your resume to your application - we love seeing resumes, too! Once you’re done, return your application to the Manager on Duty or anyone at the Customer Service desk.
- Download your Ellwood’s Job Application (PDF) and fill it out, taking your time to make sure you give us everything we’re looking for. After you’re done email it to Jobs@Ellwoodthompsons.com or bring it in! Hand it to the Manager on Duty or anyone at the Customer Service desk.
Remember, most of our positions get filled quickly and we are looking for the best, so make sure you shine!
And again - no phone calls - you can bet we’re on top of it!
Thank you for your interest!